History of Rajkot
He was rewarded by the Subedar of Gujarat, Azam Khan, with an expansion of the borders of Rajkot. Thakore Sahib Bamanioji Sahibji and Thakore Sahib Mehramanji II Bamanio, his son, were skilled and excellent soldiers who seized Rajkot along with a few villages from the rule of the Nawab of Junagadh and estabished their control over the domain of Rajkot and its nearby villages up until 1720.
Nawab Rule in Rajkot
There were a total of eight entry gates to Mausamabad with iron spikes on their outer side - these were called Sardhar Naka, Kotharia Naka, Raiya Naka, Bedi Naka, Nava Naka, Bhichari Naka, and Pal no Darwaj.
The debris of fort wall are still present in the bastion in Ramnath para area. Masum Khan ruled for over a decade until he was defeated by Thakore Sahib Ranmalji Mehramanji in 1732.
In 1982, Sir Robert Bell Booth, who served as the chief engineer for the British Agency, renovated Bedi gate and Raiya Naka gate and constructed the three storied clock towers, which are present to this day.
Jadeja Rule in Rajkot
The family accepted British protection in 1818 and subsequently the capital became the headquarters of the British Political Agent, and soon developed into a modern town that was an important centre of education.
British Rule in Rajkot
Mahatma Gandhi spent early years of his life in Rajkot when his father was employed as a Diwan to the then King of Rajkot. Gandhi embarked upon a fast in order to form a people’s council that could eventually lead to the liberation of people of Rajkot at Rashtriya Shala in 1939. After World War II concluded, the state merged with its neighbour to form the United State of Saurashtra in February of 1948, which resulted in Rajkot becoming the capital of the State of Saurashtra.